Railroad-crossing repairs begin next week
on Riverdale Road in Riverdale
Necessary safety work will require road closure and detours
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced a railroad crossing rehabilitation project that will require the closure and detour of Riverdale Road next week in Riverdale, Morris County.
Beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, May 22, until 7p.m. Friday, May 26, the two-way traffic on Riverdale Road is scheduled to be closed at the railroad crossing between Newark Pompton Turnpike and North and South Corporate Drive. The existing railroad crossing will be removed and replaced with a new concrete crossing and asphalt approach. The following detour will remain in place:
West of Riverdale Road Detour
- Motorists on west side of Riverdale Road will be directed to travel north on Newark Pompton Turnpike
- Make a right onto Hamburg Turnpike
- Make right onto Ramapo Avenue
- Turn right back onto Riverdale Road
East of Riverdale Road Detour
- Motorists traveling east of Riverdale Road will be directed to travel north on onto Ramapo Avenue
- Make a left onto Hamburg Turnpike
- Make a left onto Newark Pompton Turnpike
- Turn left back onto Riverdale Road
The traffic detour will be coordinated with the local police. If work is completed earlier, the roadway will be reopened accordingly.
In order to provide safer and smoother railroad crossing in Riverdale, the existing crossings will be replaced with new concrete crossings and new asphalt approaches. This federally-funded project is included within NJDOT’s railroad grade-crossing safety program which repairs, upgrades, or removes approximately 30 crossings each year, statewide.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weatheror other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.